Usagi Learns a Lesson! The Road to Stardom is Tough
|Usagi Hansei! Sutā no Michi wa Kibishii|
1, Sailor Moon
April 25, 1992
|NORTH AMERICAN DUB|
“So You Want to Be a Superstar (DiC)
September 14, 1995
“Usagi Learns a Lesson! The Road to Stardom is Tough” is the seventh episode of the first season of the Sailor Moon anime, and the seventh episode overall. The episode first aired in Japan on April 25, 1992. The DiC English dub title for this episode is "So You Want to Be a Superstar", and the episode first aired in North America on September 14, 1995.
Usagi and Naru are late for school. When they arrive, they talk with Umino and several girls about the new superstar, Mikan Shiratori. Usagi and Naru decide they want to become superstars as well. Jadeite decides he can use Mikan to gather energy for the Dark Kingdom.
Usagi and Naru decide to become superstars on rock videos, and sing Moonlight Densetsu (the Sailor Moon theme song), dancing badly, until Shingo enters and accuses them of torturing him. When Usagi steps on Naru's foot, they get into a fight. Afterward, Usagi sees a man and his monkey on TV, and decides to make Luna her partner, while Naru pairs up with Umino.
Mikan is attacked in the shower by Jadeite's youma Derella, who engulfs her with a substance that emits from her mouth, and then transforms into her. She and Jadeite announce a contest, hypnotizing the audience into entering. Naru and Umino enter, but Luna does not want to.
At the competition, Derella — disguised as Mikan — drains energy from all the contestants and audience, including Naru and Umino. When Usagi witnesses Derella in her true form, she transforms into Sailor Moon to fight her. Eventually Derella freezes Sailor Moon, but the ice is shattered by Tuxedo Mask. As Derella tries to attack him, Sailor Moon destroys her with Moon Tiara Action, returning all the energy.
Changes From the Manga
- When Sailor Moon destroys Derella in the English dub, she says "Moon Tiara Vaporize!" instead of "Moon Tiara Magic". Sailor Moon also says "I banish you to the Negaverse!" when she destroys Derella. This is one of the two times death is referred to as "banishment to the Negaverse". The other is when Queen Beryl is destroyed.
- The German dub removed all references to Cinderella and replaced them with references to Snow White.
- A few parts of the scene where Derella attacked Mikan Shiratori in the shower were cut in the French dub.
Other Dub Episode Titles
- French: "Une étoile est née"
- German: "Ein Star wird geboren"
- Hungarian: "Csillag született"
- Polish: "Długa droga do gwiazd"
- Brazil: "O longo e sinuoso caminho para o estrelato"
- Portugal: "O longo caminho para a fama"
- Mexico: "El Largo y Sinuoso Camino al Estrellato"
- Spain: "Camino hacia el Estrellato"
- This episode features the second time Sailor Moon's tiara is clearly shown hitting the enemy it destroys.
- Naru's act, first with Usagi and later with Umino, involved a performance of "Moonlight Legend".
- The plot is similar to Act 4 of Codename: Sailor V, the difference being that in that plot, the Youma was the idol rather than an imposte.