|The Girl Genius is a Monster: The Brainwashing Cram School of Horror|
| 天才少女は妖魔なの? 恐怖の洗脳塾|
Tensai Shoujo wa Youma Nano? Kyoufu no Sennoujuku
|Episode:||EP 8, Season 1|
|Air Date (JP):||May 2, 1992|
|Written by:||Sukehiro Tomita|
|Directed by:||Junichi Satou|
|North American Dub|
|Air Date (US):|| September 15, 1995 (DiC)|
June 2, 2014 (Viz Media)
|DiC Title:||Computer School Blues|
Usagi Learns Her Lesson: Becoming a Star is Hard Work
Usagi's Disaster: Beware of the Clock of Confusion
"The Girl Genius is a Monster: The Brainwashing Cram School of Horror" is the 8th episode of the 1st season of the Sailor Moon anime and the 8th episode overall. It aired in Japan on May 2, 1992. The DiC English dub title for this episode is "Computer School Blues" and it aired in North America on September 15, 1995.
In the Dark Kingdom, Jadeite informs Queen Beryl of his research into the Japanese education system. However, the system in question seems to be making little impact on Usagi, who is dreading her latest test results. While her mother despairs over her poor grades, Luna is frustrated by her lack of commitment to finding the princess.
That night, Luna goes into the Game Center Crown and uses the Sailor V game to speak to an unseen contact. She reports sensing a strange aura around a girl she recently encountered and suspects she could be one of the enemies. The girl in question is Ami Mizuno, a student in Usagi's school.
When the mock exam results are published the next day, Ami is placed first — not just in the school, but in the whole country. Naru, Umino, Kuri, and other students are loud in their disapproval of her, thinking Ami is stuck-up and arrogant, but Usagi is not so sure. They lower their voices when they see Ami staring at them sadly.
After school, Luna follows Ami and jumps onto her shoulder, still sensing the strange aura. Usagi apologizes to Ami, and wonders if Ami might be able to teach her the secret of her genius. Despite Luna's protests, she decides to befriend her and takes her to the game center. Ami tries the Sailor V game and is incredibly good at it, even though she has never played it before. She gets the highest score but hurries away when she realizes she is late for cram school. After she has gone, Motoki finds a floppy disk she dropped and asks Usagi to return it. Usagi and Luna arrive at the cram school and discover that the disk is the "Crystal Disc" produced by the school, allegedly to boost intelligence. They are about to go inside when Mamoru appears and asks her if Luna was just talking. Usagi denies it and runs away, but still hasn't returned the disk.
Luna decides to use this opportunity to investigate Ami, and takes the disk to the computer labs at school. There they discover the disk's true purpose: it's a brainwashing program from the Dark Kingdom. Luna declares that there is no doubt about it — Ami must be one of the enemies. They return to the cram school, Crystal Seminar, and Usagi gets inside after using the Disguise Pen to disguise herself as a doctor. She warns the students to get away from the computers and seeing Ami, transforms into Sailor Moon. But it transpires that Ami's teacher is the Youma Garoben, who takes Ami hostage and attacks Sailor Moon, first with razor-sharp test papers and then with the brainwashed students. Meanwhile, she finds that the brainwashing program has no effect on Ami, and decides to kill her. At the same time, Luna sees a symbol appear on Ami's forehead, and recognizes it as the symbol of a Sailor Senshi. She gives Ami a transformation pen and Ami runs from the Youma, transforming into Sailor Mercury. Sailor Mercury uses her signature attack, Shabon Spray (also known as Mercury Bubbles Blast in the DiC English dub and Bubble Spray in the Viz Media English dub), to create a mist that confuses the Youma. Sailor Moon is then able to destroy the monster using Moon Tiara Action. Usagi is relieved to have Ami as her partner, but alas, she is still not forthcoming with the secret of her genius.
International Dub Titles
- Brazilian Portuguese: Terror no Seminário Lava-Cuca ("Terror at the Brain-Washing Seminar")
- European Portuguese: Terror no Seminário ("Terror at the Seminar")
- TV: Des cellules fraîches ("Fresh Cells")
- DVD: Le génie est un démon ? L’école du lavage de cerveau. ("Is the Genius a Demon? The Brainwashing School.")
- German: Das Genie ("The Genius")
- Polish: Czy chcesz być szczupła? ("Is the Genius a Monster?")
Changes from the Manga
It is based on Act 2 - Ami, Sailor Mercury from the manga but with a couple of differences.
- Queen Beryl makes her debut in the Manga and Crystal anime versions of this episode, while in the anime this isn't the first time she has appeared.
- In the anime version of this episode, Usagi does not get her Disguise Pen. In the manga, she gets it in this chapter that this episode is based on. Both the manga and anime version she gets the Disguise Pen differently. In the Manga version, it comes out of the Sailor V arcade machine as a prize for Ami getting the high score. In the anime version, Usagi gets the pen in the filler episode, episode 3.
- Ami's transformation pen is obtained differently in both the manga and anime versions. In the manga, it comes out of the Sailor V arcade machine as a prize for getting a high score. In the anime, Luna gives it to her toward the end of the episode during the fight with Garoben.
- In the anime, this is the first time Sailor Mercury uses Sabão Spray, while in the manga a cold fog appears the instant Ami transforms but might not be an attack.
- The Youma has a more monstrous appearance in the anime than in the manga.
- Luna didn't confuse Ami as a spy of the Dark Kingdom. She always sensed Ami could be an ally.
- In the English dub, Amy becomes a transfer student from Brighton Academy, while in the original anime, Ami had already been attending Usagi's school. Perhaps supporting this, the actress speaks with a slight British accent.
- Ami's Transformation Pen
- Shabon Spray (Mercury Bubbles Blast in the DiC English dub and Bubble Spray in the Viz Media English dub)