|Star Seed |
"Star Seeds" are crystals contained in all life forms including planets, stars, and asteroids.
Star Seeds played an important role only in the 5th and final season of the Sailor Moon anime. Most of the Star Seeds consisted of a small glittering sphere enveloped in a hexagonal dipyramidal-shaped transparent crystal. All normal Star Seeds are a light blue-gray color. In the case of True Star Seeds, the color corresponded to their planet color.
A regular star seed resides within regular humans and once removed the light within it fades (turning the victims into phages according to the 90's anime). It is unknown why they turn into phages since they were only made to be the Monster-of-the-day for the anime but a possible explanation is that it was caused by the Galactica Bracelets which is imbued with dark energy and allows a normal living being attain an evil Sailor Guardian-like state under the control of Shadow Galactica.
In the anime, Galaxia's Star Seed seemed to have attained a level of sentience; it took the forms of Chibi Chibi to get close to Usagi, the Sword of Sealing to fight Chaos Galaxia, and a bright pink butterfly to fly across the galaxy. In its common appearance, it was a pink Star Seed.
If the Star Seed was retrieved, its carrier could be revived in their physical form.
Types of Star Seeds
- Normal Star Seed: Common people had weak Star Seeds that had a temporary shine of light upon extraction. When a human was hit by the golden energy blasts produced by Sailor Galaxia's bracelets, an orange-colored flower appeared above their head or in front of their chest and opened to reveal the Star Seed. If left exposed for too long, the seed will immediately turn dark as its shine fades turning its human host into a Phage.
- True Star Seed: Those belonging to Sailor Guardians had a permanent shine, and were called true Star Seeds, or, in the manga, Sailor Crystals. Each planetary body in the galaxy was represented by its own Star Seed, and the Sailor Guardian of that planet was its carrier. It retains their shine even with exposure to the outside and they are held within Sailor Guardians. They withhold the power of the star they protect/have the power of. If a Sailor Guardian's Star Seed was taken out of their body, the Sailor Guardian disappeared, which was equivalent to dying, as shown in episode 196.
- They are the manga equivalent to the Sailor Crystals, appearing only in the anime as a plot device for each episode similar to the Pure Heart Crystals that appeared during the Sailor Moon S arc.
- Since the creation of phages are only exclusive to the anime, in the manga the Animamates did not pursue humans and their main goal was to hunt down the Sailor Guardians for their Sailor Crystals.
- In the anime, the only people who were revealed as having True Star Seeds were Tuxedo Mask, Sailor Moon, and Princess Kakyuu. Sailor Galaxia only pursued the Star Seeds of the remaining Sailor Guardians towards the end of the series.
- In the manga, Mamoru's Golden Crystal was exactly the same in appearance to Usagi's Silver Crystal (Both were lotus-shaped).
- Usagi's Star Seed is revealed by Sailor Galaxia in the first anime as the most brilliant and pure Star Seed in the galaxy.