|Shadow of Destruction: The Messiah of Silence Awakens|
Hametsu no kage! Chinmoku no meshia no mezame
|Episode:||EP 123, Season 3|
|Air Date (JP):||January 28, 1995|
|Written by:||Megumi Sugihara|
|Directed by:||Harume Kosaka|
|North American Dub|
|Air Date (US):||July 26, 2000|
|CWi Title:||Wake Up Call|
Believe in Love: Ami, the Kindhearted Guardian
The Coming Terror of Darkness: Struggle of the Eight Guardians
"Shadow of Destruction: The Messiah of Silence Awakens" is the 34th episode of the third season of the Sailor Moon anime and the 123nd overall. It aired in Japan on January 21, 1995.The CWi English dub title for this episode was "Wake Up Call" and it aired in North America on July 26, 2000.
The fifth and final witch plans on taking more crystal hearts and sets a trap for the Sailor Guardians. Meanwhile, the countdown begins to the end and the Messiah of Silence herself finally appears as opposed to Sailor Saturn, which surprises the other three Outer Senshi.
The final witch, Cyprine, uses her powers to bring people to Mugen Academy in the night. The Sailor Guardians go to confront her and she traps them in a dimension where they have to battle both her and her twin, Ptilol. The Sailor Guardians try to attack them, but their attacks get absorbed into the twins' staffs, making them stronger. Realizing that they can't attack them directly, Sailor Mercury uses Shabon Spray to cloud the area. Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Mars force the two to separate and when both twins attack the Sailor Senshi, they jump out of the way, causing the two to fire attack each other, destroying the witches, and releasing the Pure Heart Crystals.
Meanwhile, Kaolinite lures Chibiusa to Hotaru's home, and captures her, despite the efforts of Sailor Pluto and Tuxedo Mask. The Inner and Outer Sailor Senshi meet in the depths of Mugen Academy, only to find Chibiusa captured, and Hotaru possessed by the Messiah of Silence. Sailor Moon tries to save Chibiusa, but is prevented by a barrier. The Messiah of Silence steals Chibiusa's pure heart crystal and consumes it. To the Sailor Guardians' surprise, she does not turn into Sailor Saturn, but as another powerful daimon, Mistress 9. Kaolinite is destroyed by Mistress 9, having served her purpose. Taking Chibiusa, the Sailor Guardians flee the school as it begins to shake.
Mamoru uses his powers to keep Chibiusa alive with the absence of her Pure Heart Crystal. Setsuna visits the Inner Sailor Guardians to inform them that she will help Uranus and Neptune defeat Mistress 9. The others object worried about Hotaru's safety, but she tells them that the monster had taken over and it needs to be done. The five Sailor Guardians go to Mugen Academy and prepare to rescue both Chibiusa and Hotaru from Mistress 9's evil influence on her and reawaken her as Sailor Saturn.
- Mexican: El despertar ("The Awakening.")
- European: El despertar del enviado del mal ("The Awakening of the Envoy of Evil.")
- TV: L'éveil ("The Awakening.")
- DVD: Les Ombres de la destruction ! L'éveil du messie du silence. ("Shadows of Destruction! The Awakening of the Messiah of Silence.")
- Chinese: 毀滅之影！沉默彌賽亞的覺醒 ("Shadow of Destruction! Silent Messiah's Awakening.")
- German: Mistress 9 ("Mistress 9.")
- Korean: 파멸의 그림자! 침묵의 메시아 각성 ("Shadow of Doom! The Messianic Awakening of Silence.")
- Brazilian: O Despertar do Enviado do Mal ("The Awakening of the Evil Envoy.")
- European: O Despertar! ("The Awakening!")
Changes From the Manga
- Kaolinite is destroyed by Sailor Moon, after she turns into a terrifying Daimon.
- Cyprine and Ptilol have different powers, such as mind manipulation and causing hail storms
- Mistress 9 steals Chibiusa's own Silver Crystal as well as her soul.
- Cyprine and Ptilol are destroyed by Super Sailor Moon.
- In a close-up of Cyprine behind her desk, her earrings are colored in with the same shades used for her skin.
- When the Sailor Senshi leave the building with Chibiusa's body, Sailor Moon's gloves and odango covers are absent.
- In the Spanish dub, Haruka said that if Sailor Uranus fully awakened, the world would end. Obviously, she should have said Sailor Saturn (Hotaru).