The Starlights consist of:
Their search for Princess Kakyuu brings them into conflict with the Sailor Senshi of Earth, specifically with the Outer Sailor Guardians, who want the Starlights to leave the planet and leave Usagi alone. The reason the Starlights, specifically Star Fighter, are so interested in Usagi is because Usagi carries the scent of Princess Kakyuu, due to an incense burner that Chibi Chibi possesses.
The Sailor Starlights are searching for Princess Kakyuu, traveling the galaxy and eventually arriving on Earth to find her. In their civilian forms, they created a band called "Three Lights", and disguised themselves as men; since the band's songs spoke about "finding their princess", this was a tactic to make their identities less obvious, as well as to gain more publicity for the band.
The Sailor Starlights are essentially the same in the anime as in the manga. One key difference, however, is that their male disguises on Earth are fully biological (i.e. they literally turn into men), and not just cross-dressing. They only become female when they take their Sailor Senshi forms.
Just like in the manga, the Starlights cross-dressed as men but were actually female.
- Naoko Takeuchi, the creator of the Sailor Moon franchise, specifically decreed that only women could be Sailor Senshi, and wasn't pleased with the fact that the Starlights could change gender in the anime.
- In the manga, each of them can grow a pair of angelic wings, just like Eternal Sailor Moon, Princess Kakyuu, and Sailor Chibi Chibi.
- Fans speculate that the Sailor Starlights draws inspiration from the Trimurti, or the three principal gods of Hinduism; Brahma the creator (Sailor Star Maker), Vishnu the preserver (Sailor Star Healer) and Shiva the destroyer (Sailor Star Fighter).
- The Starlights' eye colors matched the secondary colors of their sailor uniform: blue for Sailor Star Fighter, green for Sailor Star Healer, and violet/purple for Sailor Star Maker. It was never established what celestial bodies, if any, the Sailor Starlights represented. In the anime, there was one still image that showed the planet Kinmoku and three nearby planetary bodies that might have been its moons, but whether or not those were the guardian planets of the Sailor Starlights was never explained (but they are). There is some fan speculation that they represented comets or meteors, due to the fact that they called themselves "shooting stars," but again, there was nothing in an actual canon source.
- In the Italian dub of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, the Starlights' sex switching was not present. Instead, they were said to be the twin sisters of the Three Lights. This explanation was added to the Italian dub after Vera Slepoj, a psychologist, claimed that Sailor Moon made young boys become homosexual.
- In the Korean dub, the Sailor Starlights' sailor uniform was edited so that they covered the entire midriff.
- The Viz Media English dub spells their group name as the "Star Lights".