Rei Hino (火野 レイ, Hino Rei) is the civilian identity and present-day incarnation of Sailor Mars (セーラーマーズ, Seera Maazu).
- 1 Nomenclature & Etymology
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Information
- 5 Skills and Abilities
- 6 Sailor Senshi Info
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
Nomenclature & Etymology
The kanji of Rei's surname translates as "fire" (火 hi) and "field" or "civilian" (野 no).
Her given name is in katakana rei (レイ) and therefore difficult to translate. Possible meanings include "spirit" (霊), "companion" (儷), "cool" (冷), "zero" (零), and "bell" (鈴), with the first being most commonly assumed (perhaps due in part to her initial power, "Fire Soul"). Because katakana is the alphabet usually used for foreign loanwords, it may also be intended as a Western name or word, such as Raye, Rae or Ray.
In the Chinese versions of the series (anime and manga), Rei's name is written with the character "麗", which carries the same phonetic as "Rei", but means "beauty" and/or "lovely".
Regardless, the entire name is structured as a pun, as the syllable "no" indicates a possessive, so that her name can also be understood as "Rei of Fire."
Rei's name (レイ 火の Rei Hino) translated could act as a pun as "Ray of Fire". This would be the most literal translation of her name.
Her name completely in hiragana/katakana is "ひのれい" (Hino Rei).
In the DiC English dub, Rei's name was only very slightly changed; romanized as "Raye" (same pronunciation).
She has straight long black hair with a purple shine and purple eyes. She stands at about 160 cm or 5 feet 3 inches. She is often seen wearing her red and white traditional priestess uniform or her winter school uniform. Her summer uniform has her wearing a light gray formal vest with a white short-sleeved sailor uniform with a dark red ribbon tied in the center, gray skirt, white knee-high socks, and black shoes. Her uniform between both winter and summer school uniforms is dark gray with red linings.
Her primary casual appearance has her wearing a teal leather jacket with an orange turtleneck, purple skirt, orange stockings, and pale yellow knee-length heeled boots.
Her uniform in Sailor Stars is the same as her winter school uniform from her middle school but has a minor color change.
As a Sailor Senshi, she retains her civilian appearance with a gold tiara on her forehead along with a red tiara stone on front. She wears a white sailor leotard and the color of her sailor uniform is red with a single white linings to match up with her red skirt, back bow and her matching red high heels. Her front bow is purple with a red round gem at the center and was accessorized with a dangling red star earrings in each side of her earlobe and white gloves with red linings.
Super Sailor Senshi
When she was upgraded by Pegasus in the fourth season. She is like the rest of the Senshi who gained sleeves in each sides of her leotard. Her dangling red star earrings has added up two more chains to make it longer, the red gem at the center is now a heart shaped, and her back bow was lengthened. Her red choker gained a star brooch on front.
Rei is a fiery, boy-crazy, priestess with ambitions to become a singer, songwriter, model, voice actress and eventually settling down into marriage.
Her relationship with Usagi was turbulent, and the two often argued with each other. Rei even admitted at one point, she felt like Usagi was not a fit leader. Regardless, she is extremely loyal to her.
She seemed to show her affection to the people she cares about the most in odd ways, such as her teasing Usagi, which often hurt her feelings, especially in the early parts of the series, or joking with Yuuichirou.
Though Rei sometimes bickered with Usagi, she clearly cares deeply about her and valued her friendship very much, and often seemed closer to her than the other Senshi. (In the Stars season, she was the first person whom Usagi told that Mamoru had not contacted her, and Rei was so distraught that she wondered out loud why Usagi had to suffer so much). Rei attends a separate school from the other girls, a private Catholic school run by nuns. She works at Hikawa Shrine with her grandfather who was the head priest.
Rei's personality reflects her Sailor Mars power. She is a hothead, who gets into an angry rage quite easily. She is shown to be tough on others from time.
Rei Hino first appears in episode 10, scolding her grandfather for annoying the girl visitors of the shrine, and Usagi and her friends note of how pretty she is. Due to Jadeite's evil presence in the shrine, Rei uses Akuryo Taisan order to drive it away, only to accidentally place the ward on Usagi, causing her to faint and fall over. Rei apologizes for her actions and admits that her predictions have been inaccurate recently. An angry woman accuses Rei that it is her fault that many people are disappearing, causing Rei to show her temper (which gets worse after this episode).
The next day, after witnessing it, Usagi tells Rei that another bus has disappeared, which again, causes Rei to get angry and repeats that she has nothing to do with it. As Usagi and Luna leave, Rei discovers a pen on the ground and realizes that Jadeite is suspicious. Consulting the fire, it tells her that Jadeite is the one behind the disappearances, but before she can do anything, Jadeite transports her to the other world and is captured by the youma, Kigaan.
When struggling to get free, the symbol of Mars appears on her forehead. Usagi (now as Sailor Moon) attacks the youma and frees Rei. Rei transforms into Sailor Mars and destroys the youma with Fire Soul. Sailor Moon, Sailor Mars, and Luna can save the kidnapped people with the help of Tuxedo Mask.
Throughout the first season, Rei and Usagi constantly fight and bicker over everything. Rei calls her a crybaby and weak, claiming that she is not fit to be the leader of the Sailor Guardian and that she should be the leader instead. Despite this, Rei and Usagi have respect for each other, as well as a friendship, and Usagi even entrusted Rei with the Moon Stick when she was trying to infiltrate the Dark Kingdom.
Also, Rei had a brief relationship with Mamoru in the middle of the first series, until he awoke as Prince Endymion and Usagi awoke as Princess Serenity. Mamoru seemed to tolerate the relationship, while Rei enjoyed it.
In episode 45, Rei dies during her fight with two of the DD Girls. Later, she appears in front of Usagi as a spirit/illusion with the other Inner Senshi, encouraging Usagi to keep fighting and not stop, and that they will always be with her. She combines her powers with the others when Princess Serenity uses the Silver Crystal against Super Beryl. After Usagi dies, Rei, along with everyone else, is reincarnated, but has no memory of her past on the Silver Millenium, being a Sailor Senshi, or her friendship with the others.
Sailor Moon R
Rei lived for two months her normal life until the arrival of a new enemy, Ail and An, forcing Luna and Artemis to restore all the Sailor Senshi's memories, including hers. She became Sailor Mars once again. She is the last person to deal the final blow along with Sailor Venus' Crescent Beam to the cardian Minotauron to rescue Sailor Moon.
During the autumn festival prepared at her school, she was attacked by the Cardian Seiren to drain her energy as her friends transformed to their Senshi forms to rescue her. The Cardian succeeds in draining their energy, forcing Rei to transform into Sailor Mars to battle it. She was soon rescued by the Moonlight Knight until the Cardian destroys her music sheets which she tried so hard to compose the song at home. Rei was angered for what it did which restoring her powers and unleashing her Fire Soul Bird by throwing her ofuda and burns it with Fire Soul to execute it and incinerates the cardian to restore her friends' energy allowing Sailor Moon to defeat it with Moon Princess Halation. Afterwards, Rei and Usagi are arguing in a light-hearted manner after singing the Starry Sky song.
When Chibiusa was introduced, she along with Ami, Makoto and Minako were knocked unconscious by her using the Luna Sphere to put some drug into their tea which angers Usagi leading her to spank her butt for her actions. In Episode 57, Rei begins to have arguments with her grandfather when he decided to set a Martial Arts School at the shrine. Despite her problems with her grandfather, she discovers he was fighting a droid sent by Koan which she tries to protect him from its attack until her grandfather was attacked by it and was knocked unconscious. They were rescued by both Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask who fought the droid long enough for Sailor Moon to defeat it. Afterwards, Koan became angered at Sailor Moon for defeating her droid and attacks her with dark fire and gives chase. Rei was worried for her grandfather who is unconscious and she going to pay Koan for what she had done to her grandfather, she angrily transforms into Sailor Mars and she rescues Sailor Moon by pushing her to the ground and avoids Koan's dark fire. She then unleashes her Fire Soul while Koan does the same. Both women are clashing with fire as Koan's dark fire is extinguishing her fire. Sailor Moon wants to help her but Tuxedo Mask tells her not to as Rei concentrates her powers and unleashing her second ability Burning Mandala to extinguish Koan's dark fire and her tutu skirt caught fire, causing her to flee. When Tuxedo Mask leave the scene, Sailor Mars thanked Sailor Moon for rescuing them. Rei's rival with the Black Moon Clan is Koan who utilizes dark fire and she was seen fighting Koan when Sailor Moon tries to protect Chibiusa from Rubeus.
When Chibiusa visits at Hikawa Shrine, she was attacked by Koan only to be rescued by Yuichiro and Rei witnesses the ordeal when Yuichiro saves her from Koan's attack. Yuichiro tells Koan that because from the inside between him and Rei are friends before losing consciousness. Rei was angered for what she had done and transforms into Sailor Mars. Both women are clashing their fires once again until Rei rescues Yuichiro from Koan's attack which burns her left ankle and also hinders her mobility. Koan taunts Rei about her relationship with Yuichiro which the latter recognizes her as the disguised make up lady and Yuichiro is not her boyfriend and all she cares about is both clothes and make-up. By the time Koan attempts to capture Chibiusa it was stopped by Tuxedo Mask, failing her mission. Rubeus arrives and disowns Koan for failing her mission and was given a bomb to deal against them. Sailor Mars tried to convince Koan to move on without Rubeus as Sailor Venus succeeds in dropping the bomb she carries with Venus Love Me Chain and destroys it by Sailor Jupiter's Sparkling Wide Pressure. Koan angrily blames the Sailor Senshi for ruining her mission and being disowned by Rubeus and her sisters, she emotionally attacks them as Rei protects her from getting knee smashed from Sailor Jupiter. She emotionally convinced Koan to move on without Rubeus which she agrees while crying remorsefully. Sailor Mars tells Sailor Moon to use her silver crystal from her brooch as Luna and Artemis know that it can purify the remaining evil inside of her which Sailor Moon uses the silver crystal to purify Koan as a normal woman.
Sailor Moon S
Sometime after the battle with the Black Moon Clan, Rei begins to have visions of a dark force, threatening to destroy all life on the planet. Her vision includes three lights that combine and vanish, and a mysterious figure shrouded in shadows. She later becomes one of the first victims of the new enemy, the Death Busters, when a Daimon extracts her pure heart. But she and her fellow Senshi are saved by two mysterious figures and her pure heart crystal is returned to her.
Sailor Moon SuperS
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
In the Stars season, she was the first person whom Usagi told that Mamoru had not contacted her, and Rei was so distraught that she wondered out loud why Usagi had to suffer so much.
Skills and Abilities
- Precognition: Rei is shown to have strong precognition, where she can make full use of this ability to predict events from the near future, but it can fail sometimes.
- Pyromancy: Rei is also shown to have a great affinity with fire, to the point where she is capable to manifest her future sights by forming images on the flames. The images are very enigmatic and unreliable.
- Purification: Even when she is in her civilian form, she can use her "ofuda" (a Shinto talisman used to protect homes from evil spirits) to "exorcize" people, while yelling "Evil Spirit, Disperse!" (although it can cause normal people to faint, as shown in episode 10 when she tried to "purify" Usagi).
- Sixth Sense: Rei is sometimes shown to have a "sixth sense", using it to detect "evil presences" and approaching danger, as shown in Chapter 6 of Codename: Sailor V manga, but it can fail sometimes when she mistook Usagi for an evil spirit.
- Expert Archer: As a Shrine Priestess, she is an expert archer, and this potential is shown in her "Mars Flame Sniper" attack.
Sailor Senshi Info
- Mars Power, Make Up
- Mars Star Power, Make Up
- Mars Crystal Power, Make Up
- Mars Crisis, Make Up
- Mars Eternal, Make Up
- Akuryo Taisan
- Fire Soul
- Fire Soul Bird
- Burning Mandala
- Mars Flame Sniper
- Mars Flower Fire
- Youma Taisan
- Silver Crystal Power
- Sailor Planet Power
- Sailor Planet Attack
- Sailor Special Garlic Attack
- Rei's membership number in the Three Lights Fan Club was 2906.
- In the anime, Rei had four image songs: Eternal Melody, Flame Sniper, My Boyfriend, Arranged by the Stars, and Holy Flame Love ~Fire Soul Love~. She also shared an image song with Ami Mizuno called I Can't Leave Her Alone.
- Hitoshi Doi states that Kunihiko Ikuhara was responsible for much of Rei's changed personality in the anime.
- Both of Rei's relatives who appeared in the anime (her grandfather and her cousin who appeared in Sailor Stars) ended up being turned into a monster-of-the-day.
- At the beginning of the Sailor Stars arc, Rei/Sailor Mars and Michiru/Sailor Neptune are paired up in Nehellenia's world of nightmares. After Sailor Neptune manages to easily see through Nehellenia's illusion (a flame consuming both their uniforms), Rei begins to question her intuition.
- Despite this, Sailor Neptune says that she does believe the fact that she has more experience than Sailor Mars plays a part in that. Moreover, after Sailor Mars manages to save Sailor Neptune, the aforementioned acknowledges her sense of intuition.
- Rei seemed to behave like her original manga incarnation in her debut episode.
- In volume 10 of the tankouban release of the manga, Naoko noted that even though she (somewhat) regretted the decision for Rei's personality in the anime to be different from her personality in the manga, she's happy that people like both versions of the character.
- Despite being a shrine priestess, she attends a Catholic school.
- In the DiC English dub, Rei's name was only very slightly changed, Romanized as "Raye" (same pronunciation).
- In early promotional videos for the English dub of the anime presented by DiC, Rei was called "Dana".
- In the DiC's version of the dub, she was introduced 3 episodes earlier than the original Japanese version, as DiC cut of some episodes, thus making her the fastest sailor scout to be introduced, introduced just 2 episodes after Ami Mizuno.
- The difference between the Mars planetary symbol used in the original anime and the manga is that the transforming sign has a heart instead of a circle.
- All of her villain counterparts (In Jadeite's case, he is the Shitennou associated with her) in every arc, are the first of their groups to attack or take the job to fight against the Sailor Senshi.
- Mars was the only one of the Inner Sailor Senshi who never had an attack that was only used once.
- Her favourite color is Red.