- This page is for the anime series that ran from 1992 to 1997. For other uses, please see Sailor Moon (disambiguation).
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (anime series)
|Bishoujo Senshi Seera Muun|
Adventure, Magical Girl, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
Moonlight Legend (Seasons 1-4)
TV Asahi (Japan)
March 7, 1992 – February 8, 1997
|# of Episodes||
Toel Animation (Japan)
24-25 minutes (per episode)
"Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon" is an anime series that ran on Japanese television from March 7, 1992, to February 8, 1997, on Asahi Television. The series spanned 200 episodes, three feature films, five specials, and five memorials. Following this series were two reboots: one live-action tv show and later Sailor Moon Crystal.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
The 1st season of the Sailor Moon anime aired on Asahi Television at 7:00 pm on Saturdays from March 7, 1992, to February 27, 1993. It consisted of episodes 1-46. This season was dubbed into English by DiC in 1995 and by Viz Media in 2014 and 2015. A second dubbed version by Viz Media was released on home video in two installments, with Part 1 released on November 11, 2014, and Part 2 released on February 10, 2015.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R
The 2nd season of the Sailor Moon anime aired from March 6, 1993, to March 12, 1994. It consisted of episodes 47-89. Because the series was not developed with the second season in mind, the first 13 episodes (quarter season) of the series were an original story produced by Toei rather than based on the manga by Naoko Takeuchi to allow Takeuchi time to develop her storyline further. This season was the last to air in the UK on Fox Kids (now known as Disney XD). This season was dubbed into English by DiC and eventually released on DVD by ADV, though episode 67 was not dubbed nor released on DVD in the U.S. and Canada. A subbed version is currently available on Hulu and Viz Media's Neon Alley service. A second dubbed version was released on home video in two installments, with Part 1 released on July 14, 2015, and Part 2 released on October 27, 2015.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S
The 3rd season of the Sailor Moon anime aired from March 19, 1994, to February 25, 1995. It consisted of episodes 90-127. This season was dubbed into English by Cloverway Inc., and released on DVD by Pioneer.
A subbed version is currently available on Hulu and Viz Media's Neon Alley service. A second dubbed version was released on home video in two installments, with Part 1 was released on November 15, 2016, and Part 2 was released on June 20, 2017.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS
The 4th season of the Sailor Moon anime aired from March 4, 1995, to March 2, 1996. It consisted of episodes 128-166. This season was dubbed into English by Cloverway and released on DVD by Pioneer and was the last season of the series to air in the U.S. and Canada. The first part of the new dub was released on April 24, 2018, while the release of the second part was released on November 13, 2018.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
The 5th season of the Sailor Moon anime aired from March 9, 1996, to February 8, 1997. The series concluded with this season. It consisted of episodes 167-200. On the anime timeline at the Toei Animation Gallery, "Sailor Stars" is listed separately from "Sailor Moon," which on their timeline concludes with the fourth season. Also, the opening song changed from "Moonlight Legend," which it had been for the first four seasons, to "Sailor Star Song." None of the episodes in this season have aired in English-speaking countries, and many rumors persist as to why Toei Animation has not allowed any company to license the last series for distribution in English. The most persistent rumors are that Toei wanted more money for licensing than anyone was willing to pay and that Toei was afraid of hurting the show's "family-friendly" image due to some content in Sailor Stars (such as the nudity in the last episode, Haruka and Michiru's relationship, and the gender-transforming Sailor Starlights). Despite this, however, this season aired in other foreign countries, some with little or no controversy, but others, like Brazil, the last episode caused controversy and became the trigger for Cartoon Network to ban or move some animes to late night.
As of May 16, 2014, Viz Media has obtained the rights to subtitle and dub Sailor Stars in English in North America. It's unknown why Toei Animation has suddenly changed its stance of not allowing Sailor Stars to be licensed for English-language distribution. The first episode of Sailor Stars was uploaded to Hulu on December 14, 2015, marking the official premiere of the series in America. The first part of the dub was released on June 18, 2019, on DVD.
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R: The Movie - Theater run was from December 1993 to January 1994. The film's English dub subtitle is "The Promise of the Rose." The Viz Media English dub of the film was given a theatrical run in early 2017, was released on DVD and Blu-ray on April 18, 2017.
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S: The Movie- Theater run was from December 1994 to January 1995. based on the short story "The Lover of Princess Kaguya" that precludes the Dream story arc in the manga, the film's original English dub's subtitle is "Hearts in Ice." The Viz Media English dub of the film was given a theatrical run in summer 2018, was released on DVD and Blu-ray on October 2, 2018.
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie - Theater run was from December 1995 to January 1996. Of the three films, this was the only one to have a Japanese subtitle, called The Nine Sailor Guardians Unite! The Miracle of the Black Dream Hole." The film's CWi English dub's subtitle is "Black Dream Hole." The Viz Media English dub of the film was given a theatrical run in summer 2018 and the DVD and Blu-ray were released on February 12, 2019.
- Make Up! Sailor Guardians - A special that appeared with the R movie in theaters.
- Dreaming Moon - A special of a fan event from Christmas 1993.
- The Wonderful World of Sailor Moon S - A special that aired on December 22, 1994.
- Sailor Moon SuperS Specials - A set of three episodes that aired on April 8, 1995.
- Ami's First Love - A special that appeared with the SuperS movie in theaters.
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Memorial
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R Memorial
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S Memorial
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS Memorial
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Memorial
International Dubs, Subs, and Voiceovers of Sailor Moon
The anime quickly found favor internationally and was bought by various television companies across the world and dubbed into numerous different languages, including:
- Cantonese Chinese (Hong Kong)
- Mandarin Chinese (mainland China)
- Mandarin Chinese (Taiwan)
- Portuguese (Brazilian)
- Portuguese (European)
- Spanish (Castilian)
- Spanish (Latin America)