Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal
|Bishōjo Senshi Sērā Mūn Crystal|
July 5, 2014
|# of Episodes||
26 (20 aired)
Dark Kingdom Arc
While she was hurrying to get to her school on time one day, Usagi Tsukino accidentally steps on a black cat. When she picks it up and takes off the band aids on its forehead, she notices a crescent shaped symbol on the cat's forehead. Usagi, however, thinks that it's just a bald spot and runs off to school. Later that day, Usagi takes a nap, only to be awakened by the cat from earlier that day. To her surprise, the cat starts talking to her and introduces itself as Luna. Luna tells Usagi that she is destined to become a Sailor Senshi and gives her a mystical brooch that enables her to transform into Sailor Moon. After transforming, Sailor Moon hears her friend Naru screaming and yelling and goes to rescue her from a Youma. After defeating the Youma, she meets Tuxedo Mask, a mysterious man who encouraged her to defeat the Youma during the fight. The next day, Usagi wakes up to go to school thinking that what happened that night was dream...that is, until she hears Naru telling her friends about what happened the previous night. Soon, Usagi finds out that not only does she need to find the other Sailor Senshi, but she also has to find the Moon Princess and protect the supremely powerful Silver Crystal from the Dark Kingdom; a mysterious group of villains that attempt to steal life energy from humans to strengthen and revitalize their ruler Queen Metaria to dominate Earth and exact their vengeance on the people of the White Moon, who have been reborn and reincarnated as "ordinary" teenage girls on Earth.
Usagi eventually finds the other five Sailor Senshi-Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, and Sailor Venus- and finds out that Tuxedo Mask is actually Mamoru Chiba, a man that had previously made fun of her on multiple things, including her low test grades and her meatball-like hairstyle. He and Usagi later begin to fall in love with each other. However, during a battle with Kunzite, Tuxedo Mask injures himself while trying to protect Sailor Moon from an attack, causing him to lose consciousness as well. Sailor Moon is overwhelmed with sadness when this happens and after crying out in anguish, her tiara breaks, revealing a crescent moon symbol on her forehead and instantly transforms into Princess Serenity, the Princess of the Moon Kingdom, Silver Millennium. After regaining her memories of her past life, one of her teardrops reveals the vastly powerful, legendary Silver Crystal itself, which starts to send out immense healing energy throughout the city. After attempting to attack the newly awakened Serenity, Queen Beryl and Kunzite abduct an unconscious Tuxedo Mask.
To find answers, Luna takes the five Sailor Soldiers to the Moon, where the ruins of Silver Millennium lies. The spirit of a young woman with silver hair appears before them and thanks Luna for bringing them here. She reveals to Sailor Moon that she is/was her mother in her past life, Queen Serenity. She explains that they all lived happily on the moon with their beloved kingdom. However, an evil entity from the cosmos, Queen Metalia, arrived out of the blue, and brainwashed the humans of Earth.
Black Moon Arc
After the obliteration of Queen Metaria and her bewitched Earth minions, the five Sailor Soldiers are living a time of peace and harmony. Usagi receives a brand new transformation broach from Queen Serenity's spirit and transforms into a even stronger version of her standard Sailor form as Sailor Moon. She also obtains a much stronger mystical scepter to defeat any new enemies she might encounter: The Cutie Moon Rod.
As their regular transformation pens have been destroyed during their final showdown with Queen Metalia, Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako are each given the much stronger and more powerful Star Power Sticks by Luna. Usagi and Mamoru have now grown closer in an official romance, but are interrupted by a young girl falling from the sky from mysterious portal. This girl, calling herself "Usagi," demands the vastly powerful Silver Crystal from Usagi. Unfortunately, the Black Moon clan have arrived on Earth and are after Chibiusa (whom they refer to as "the Rabbit") in order to obtain the Silver Crystal of the future and destroy it, as it is no match for the dark Malefic Black Crystal they possess.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Hisako Kanemoto
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Rina Sato
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Ami Koshimizu
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Shizuka Ito
- Luna - Ryo Hirohashi
- Artemis - Youhei Oobayashi
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask - Kenji Nojima
- Chibiusa Tsukino/Sailor Chibi Moon - Misato Fukuen
- Sailor Pluto - Ai Maeda
- Queen Beryl - Misa Watanabe
- Queen Metaria - Yoko Matsuoka
- Jadeite - Daisuke Kishio
- Nephrite - Kosuke Toriumi
- Zoisite - Masaya Matsukaze
- Kunzite - Eiji Takemoto
Black Moon Clan
- Prince Demande - Mamoru Miyano
- Saphir - Tsubasa Yonaga
- Rubeus - Hiroki Takahashi
- Esmeraude - Houko Kuwashima
- Wiseman - Hiroshi Iwasaki
- Koan - Satsuki Yukino
- Berthier - Rumi Kasahara
- Petz - Wasabi Mizuta
- Calaveras - Tomoe Hanba
- Ikuko Tsukino - Yuko Mizutani
- Shingo Tsukino - Seira Ryu
- Kenji Tsukino - Mitsuaki Madono
- Naru Osaka - Satomi Sato
- Haruna Sakurada - Akemi Kanda
- Motoki Furuhata - Hiroshi Okamoto
- Gurio Umino - Daiki Yamashita
- Yumiko - Hyang-Ri Kim
- Kuri - Yukiko Morishita
- Mayumi Osaka - Sanae Kobayashi
- Original Creator - Naoko Takeuchi
- Director - Munehisa Sakai
- Series Script Supervisor - Yuuji Kobayashi
- Animation Producer - Toei Animation
- Theme Song Performance - Momoiro Clover Z
- Character designer - Yukie Sako
- Series composer - Yasuharu Takanashi
- Art directors - Takashi Kurahashi and Yumi Hosaka
- Animation directors - Kozue Komatsu
- Soundtrack production - King Record Company, Limited
- Color Design - Kunio Tsujita and Tomoko Kobiki
- Director of Photography - Takeo Ogiwara
Announcement Of The Anime, First Delay, And First New Estimated Premiere
The anime was first announced at a 20th anniversary event streamed on niconico on July 6, 2012. There, it was announced that it will premiere in the summer of 2013. It was also announced that Momoiro Clover Z will be singing the theme song for the anime.
It was officially announced in spring 2013 that the Sailor Moon anime that was supposed to start airing in the summer of 2013 was going to be delayed until further notice.
In July 2013, the new Sailor Moon anime was officially estimated to premiere in November 2013 - January 2014. Nakayoshi Magazine announced that the series was officially in production followed by those dates of expected premiere.
Second Estimated Premiere, Second Delay and Third Estimated PremiereDuring the second 20th Anniversary event on August 4, 2013, it was revealed that the new Sailor Moon anime will air in December 2013, and that it would be streamed internationally online via niconico. It was also revealed that Momoiro Clover Z will be doing both the opening and the ending for the new anime. Later, it was announced on October 17 that the anime will be subtitled in 10 languages.
It was confirmed January 9th that the anime will be premiering in July 2014. Before the announcement, Atsutoshi Umezawa confirmed in a press release that the new anime will not remake the old anime, but adapt from the manga.
New Staff And Image Leak
On February 27, the series' composer and the character designer were announced.
On March 13, 2014, the official website for the 20th anniversary celebration opened up a countdown for the page for the new anime. On the same day, Toei Animation uploaded the unlinked key image for the anime to the page. The full image showed that the story will have the same story as the manga. The image also revealed the title and Sailor Moon's anime appearance.
Nico Nico Choukaigi Announcements And Number of Episodes
On April 18th, it was revealed that the cast for the anime was going to be announced at a Nico Nico Choukaigi event that will take place at the Makuhari Messe convention center on April 27. The main cast of the next musical was also going to be introduced at the event.
At the event, the cast for the Sailor Team was revealed. Kotono Mitsuishi will be reprising her role as Usagi, while the rest will be played by different actresses. Character designs were also revealed at the event, as well as the airdate. Later, more character designs were shown on the official website.
The new anime is scheduled to run on the first and third Saturdays every month, beginning July 5 at 7:00 p.m. (6:00 a.m. ET).
On April 29th, photos showing a purported trade show flyer have appeared on the internet. The flyer implied that the first season of the new anime would consist of twenty-six episodes with each episode lasting thirty minutes.
Anime Distributors Announced And Trailers And Streaming Plans Revealed
On May 16th, Viz Media, a North American anime and manga distributor, announced that they have licensed both the first Sailor Moon anime and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal after their panel at Anime Central.
The trailer was posted on YouTube on June 5th. The opening theme to the anime, "MOON PRIDE" by Momoiro Clover Z, was heard in the trailer. It was later announced that the ending will be "Moon Rainbow".
On June 19th, Viz Media posted the trailer with English subtitles on their YouTube channel. On the same day, they posted a page for the show on their website. This page announced that the anime will be streaming on Neon Alley starting July 5th. Hulu also posted a page for the show on their site as well. On June 20th, a press release on Anime News Network announced that Hulu and Neon Alley will stream it at the exact same time it gets streamed in Japan, making it a true simultaneous release.
On June 24th, Crunchyroll made a page for the show on their website. There, they uploaded the PV for the series. They also mentioned that the series will be avaliable to Crunchyroll's audience in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Later, an extended version of the trailer, called the BGM version, was released on the site.
It was later revealed that niconico will stream the anime with subtitles in over thirteen languages. The languages are Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasu Melayu, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, and Turkish.
Black Moon arc
At the Animate Girls Festival 2014 on November 7, 2014, the second half of Sailor Moon Crystal was announced and a key visual was shown as well. The second half, which premiered in January 2015, covers the Black Moon arc of the manga.
Later, Chibiusa's voice actress and Sailor Pluto's voice actress, as well as the new ending for the second half of the anime, were all announced on December 27, 2014, during an event. On January 26, 2015, the character designs and the cast for the members of the Black Moon Clan (excluding the Spectre Sisters) were all shown and announced on the official website for the 20th anniversary project.
On April 10, 2015, Toei Animation Europe announced on their website that Canal J, a French cable channel, acquired the rights to the anime and that it will be airing the first season in Autumn 2015.  In their original posting it was believed the Infinity Arc would be adapted, but it was later debunked due to a miscommunication about the Dark Moon Arc. 
Main article: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal Merchandise
- ↑ New "Sailor Moon" Anime Announced For Summer 2013 - Crunchyroll
- ↑ New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed - Anime News Network
- ↑ Sailor Moon Eyeliner and More - Miss Dream
- ↑ News on the Anime News Network
- ↑ Sailor Moon Website's Animation Page Opens a Countdown - Anime News Network
- ↑ 2014's New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime's 1st Image, Story Intro Posted Online
- ↑ The announcement on the official Sailor Moon website
- ↑ "Sailor Moon Crystal" Anime to Run 26 Episodes? - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Viz Licenses New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime - Anime News Network
- ↑ Crunchyroll to Also Stream Sailor Moon Crystal - Anime News Network
- ↑ Crunchyroll to Stream "Sailor Moon Crystal" Anime - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Information about the program that Osabu will be on
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal - OFFICIAL English Subtitled Trailer - Starts 7/5/14 - YouTube
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal - Viz Media
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal - Hulu
- ↑ Neon Alley & Hulu To Simulcast Brand New Sailor Moon Crystal On July 5th - Anime News Network
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal Full episodes streaming online for free - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Crunchyroll Announces "Sailor Moon Crystal" Anime Streaming Plans - Crunchyroll
- ↑ PRETTY GUARDIAN SAILORMOON Crystal TRAILER BGM VER. - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal - niconico
- ↑ 12/27、イオンシネマ幕張新都心にて「美少女戦士セーラームーンCrystal」ブラック・ムーン編突入世界最速先行上映会＆新キャスト発表イベントが開催決定！セーラー5戦士に加え、ちびうさ、セーラープルートキャストも登壇！：美少女戦士セーラームーン20周年プロジェクト公式サイト
- ↑ The announcement on the website
- ↑ THE NEW SAILOR MOON SERIES IN FRANCE! -TOEI Animation Europe
- ↑ (Updated) Second Sailor Moon Crystal Series In The Works