Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal
July 5, 2014
The first episode will be released in -2162 days
Usagi is a little clumsy and a crybaby, but she's also one spirited eigth grader. One day she meets Luna, a black cat with a crescent mark on her forehead, and transforms into the pretty sailor-suited guardian of love and justice, Sailor Moon! As a chosen guardian of justice, Usagi apparently has a mission to protect a princess, and to find her fellow Guardians and the Legendary Silver Crystal. Meanwhile, Queen Beryl of the Dark Kingdom sends her subordinates to the town where Usagi lives. They cause strange events to occur there, all in an effort to acquire the tremendously powerful Silver Crystal...
Can Sailor Moon and the other Guardians successfully find the Legendary Silver Crystal, and protect the princess...!?
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Hisako Kanemoto
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Rina Sato
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Ami Koshimizu
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Shizuka Ito
- Luna - Ryo Hirohashi
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask - Kenji Nojima
- Queen Beryl - Misa Watanabe
- Jadeite - Daisuke Kishio
- Nephrite - Kosuke Toriumi
- Zoisite - Masaya Matsukaze
- Kunzite - Eiji Takemoto
- Ikuko Tsukino - Yuko Mizutani
- Shingo Tsukino - Seira Ryu
- Naru Osaka - Satomi Satō
- Haruna Sakurada - Akemi Kanda
- Motoki Furuhata - Hiroshi Okamoto
- Gurio Umino - Daiki Yamashita
- Yumiko - Hyangri Kim
- Kuri - Yukiko Morishita
- Original Creator - Naoko Takeuchi
- Director - Munehisa Sakai
- Series Script Supervisor - Yuuji Kobayashi
- Animation Producer - Toei Animation
- Theme Song Performance - Momoiro Clover Z
- Character designer - Yukie Sako
- Series composer - Yasuharu Takanashi
- Art directors - Takashi Kurahashi and Yumi Hosaka
- Animation directors - Kozue Komatsu
- Soundtrack production - King Record Company, Limited
- Color Design - Kunio Tsujita and Tomoko Kobiki
- Director of Photography - Takeo Ogiwara
- Digital streaming: Crunchyroll, Hulu, Neon Alley, Niconico
Announcement Of The Anime, First Delay, And First New Estimated Premiere
The anime was first announced at a 20th anniversary event streamed on niconico on July 6, 2012. There, it was announced that it will premiere in the summer of 2013. It was also announced that Momoiro Clover Z will be singing the theme song for the anime.
It was officially announced in spring 2013 that the Sailor Moon anime that was supposed to start airing in the summer of 2013 was going to be delayed until further notice.
In July 2013, the new Sailor Moon anime was officially estimated to premiere in November 2013 - January 2014. Nakayoshi Magazine announced that the series was officially in production followed by those dates of expected premiere.
Second Estimated Premiere, Second Delay and Third Estimated PremiereDuring the second 20th Anniversary event on August 4, 2013, it was revealed that the new Sailor Moon anime will air in December 2013, and that it would be streamed internationally online via niconico. It was also revealed that Momoiro Clover Z will be doing both the opening and the ending for the new anime. Later, it was announced on October 17 that the anime will be subtitled in 10 languages.
It was confirmed January 9th that the anime will be premiering in July 2014. Before the announcement, Atsutoshi Umezawa confirmed in a press release that the new anime will not remake the old anime, but adapt from the manga.
New Staff And Image Leak
On February 27, the series' composer and the character designer were announced.
On March 13, 2014, the official website for the 20th anniversary celebration opened up a countdown for the page for the new anime. On the same day, Toei Animation uploaded the unlinked key image for the anime to the page. The full image showed that the story will have the same story as the manga. The image also revealed the title and Sailor Moon's anime appearance.
Nico Nico Choukaigi Announcements And Number of Episodes
On April 18th, it was revealed that the cast for the anime was going to be announced at a Nico Nico Choukaigi event that will take place at the Makuhari Messe convention center on April 27. The main cast of the next musical was also going to be introduced at the event.
At the event, the cast for the Sailor Team was revealed. Kotono Mitsuishi will be reprising her role as Usagi, while the rest will be played by different actresses. Character designs were also revealed at the event, as well as the airdate. Later, more character designs were shown on the official website.
The new anime is scheduled to run on the first and third Saturdays every month, beginning July 5 at 7:00 p.m. (6:00 a.m. ET).
On April 29th, photos showing a purported trade show flyer have appeared on the internet. The flyer implied that the anime will run for 26 episodes with each episode lasting thirty minutes.
Anime Distributors Announced And Trailers Revealed
On May 16th, Viz Media, a North American anime and manga distributor, announced that they have licensed both the first Sailor Moon anime and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal after their panel at Anime Central.
The trailer was posted on YouTube on June 5th. The opening theme to the anime, "MOON PRIDE" by Momoiro Clover Z, was heard in the trailer. It was later announced that the ending will be "Moon Rainbow".
On June 19th, Viz Media posted the trailer with English subtitles on their YouTube channel. On the same day, they posted a page for the show on their website. This page announced that the anime will be streaming on Neon Alley starting July 5th. Hulu also posted a page for the show on their site as well. On June 20th, a press release on Anime News Network announced that Hulu and Neon Alley will stream it at the exact same time it gets streamed in Japan, making it a true simultaneous release.
On June 24th, Crunchyroll made a page for the show on their website. There, they uploaded the PV for the series. They also mentioned that the series will be avaliable to Crunchyroll's audience in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Later, an extended version of the trailer, called the BGM version, was released on the site.
Since the original announcement, various rumors and pranks involving the new anime started to develop. A popular rumor was that the anime's plot will be much more faithful to the original manga. Another popular rumor suggests that the anime would be based on the most recent Sailor Moon musical, "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon - La Reconquista". However, on January 3rd, Atsutoshi Umezawa confirmed that the anime will stick closer to the manga, which means that the rumors about it being more faithful to the manga are true.
Practical jokes relevant to the new anime involve the creation of fake screenshots and press releases.
A starter book for the new anime is set to be released in Summer 2014. The book will include interviews with the cast and information for the fans.
- ↑ The plot on the official Sailor Moon website
- ↑ New "Sailor Moon" Anime Announced For Summer 2013 - Crunchyroll
- ↑ New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed - Anime News Network
- ↑ Sailor Moon Eyeliner and More - Miss Dream
- ↑ News on the Anime News Network
- ↑ Sailor Moon Website's Animation Page Opens a Countdown - Anime News Network
- ↑ 2014's New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime's 1st Image, Story Intro Posted Online
- ↑ The announcement on the official Sailor Moon website
- ↑ "Sailor Moon Crystal" Anime to Run 26 Episodes? - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Viz Licenses New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime - Anime News Network
- ↑ Crunchyroll to Also Stream Sailor Moon Crystal - Anime News Network
- ↑ Crunchyroll to Stream "Sailor Moon Crystal" Anime - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Information about the program that Osabu will be on
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal - OFFICIAL English Subtitled Trailer - Starts 7/5/14 - YouTube
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal - Viz Media
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal - Hulu
- ↑ Neon Alley & Hulu To Simulcast Brand New Sailor Moon Crystal On July 5th - Anime News Network
- ↑ Sailor Moon Crystal Full episodes streaming online for free - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Crunchyroll Announces "Sailor Moon Crystal" Anime Streaming Plans - Crunchyroll
- ↑ PRETTY GUARDIAN SAILORMOON Crystal TRAILER BGM VER. - Crunchyroll
- ↑ Sailor Moon 20th Anniversary Guide Book & Sailor Moon Crystal Book - Sailor Moon Collectiables