| The following article is currently being improved for the benefit of all visitors. Pages carrying this template may contain issues which will be fixed as soon as an editor is available to do so. Please bear with us while improvements are being made. Therefore, we request visitors to give editors time and patience to work on the page and assume good faith until the edits are complete. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.
Please be aware that pages which are not given such a chance before this template is removed will be protected until an experienced editor is available to work on the page.
Main article: Michiru Kaiou#Appearance
Like several other characters from the original manga who appear in the anime, Michiru keeps the same appearance as her original incarnation, except with her hair shortened from long to medium length.
Her first outfit is a dark red long sleeve sailor fuku with a shades of green ribbon at the center of her fuku and a Mugen Academy emblem in the center of her uniform, green and black checkered skirt and black shoes and white short socks. The color of her fuku is black.
Her summer uniform is similar to Rei's as she wears a dark red vest, with a white short sleeve sailor fuku underneath her vest. She retains her shades of green ribbon, her green and black checkered skirt, socks and shoes from her winter school uniform.
Her primary casual outfit which is opposed to both Usagi and Ami's casual outfit. She wears a long cornflower blue formal jacket with a pale yellow long sleeve v-neck undershirt, dark blue long skirt and brown shoes. Her medium length teal hair is now tied in a high ponytail adorned with a purple ribbon at the center of her head. In Sailor Stars, she wears this outfit as her hair was loose instead of a ponytail.
Sailor Moon S
Michiru is Haruka Tenou's lover. Naoko Takeuchi explains that a feminine person and a masculine person would be attracted to each other even if they're both girls.
They agree that anybody who has a talisman must die, even if this means one of them kills the other.
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
She returns in Sailor Stars and this time they are clearly on the same side as the Inner Senshi, though she and Haruka sell their souls to Galaxia.
Michiru's name means "to rise" while Kaiou means "sea king." Her original English name Michelle a French feminine form of Michel, from the Hebrew name Michael meaning "Who is like God?"
- In one episode, she competes against Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno in a swimming contest to see who the better swimmer is. Although Ami holds back during the first race, she actually gives it her all in the next race and both are tied as the victors.
- In the anime, Michiru had two image songs: Reminiscences of the Warrior and Fate Is So Beautiful.
- In the original English dub, Michiru is named "Michelle" which sounds similar to her Japanese name Michiru.
- In 1998, Irwin released a line of Senshi of the Outer Solar System dolls well before Sailor Moon S aired in North America. On the boxes of the Sailor Neptune dolls, she was given the civilian name "Nerissa."
- Nerissa is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "from the sea" or "sea nymph".
- Nerissa was a character in William Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice'.
- In a attempt to cover up lesbianism, the Cloverway English dub made Michiru (Michelle) and Haruka (Amara) very close cousins.