| Mamoru Chiba |
|Aliases:||"Endou" (Fake), Tuxedo Mask, Prince Endymion, King Endymion|
|Residency:||Azabu-Juuban, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan|
|School(s):||Moto Azabu High School|
Moto Azabu High School student (arcs 1-3)
Earth Kingdom, Moon Kingdom, Crystal Tokyo
|Birthdate:||August 3rd (♌)|
|Age:|| 16 (at start), 17 (by August 3rd) (arcs 1-2)|
18 (arcs 3-4)
19 (arc 5)
175 cm or 5'9"
|Manga:||Act 1 Usagi - Sailor Moon|
Nomenclature & Etymology
His name, just like the girls', carries a pun. His surname "Chiba" means local and contains the kanji 地 (chi) which also appears in the word "Chikyuu", the Japanese name for Earth and 場 (ba), meaning place or location.
His given name "Mamoru" (衛) means to protect.
So the pun in his name is loosely "Earth Protector", "Local Protector", or simply "Protector of Earth".
Mamoru is a tall man who has dark bluish black hair and deep blue eyes. He is around 5 feet 9 inches in height.
When Mamoru becomes Tuxedo Mask, he dons a black tuxedo, with yellow buttons and a black cape (lined with red). The jacket is left open to reveal his white dress shirt. He also wears white gloves and a white mask that covers his eyes; at times the mask seems to cover his eyes and other times the mask is merely an outline, leaving his eyes visible. The final touch of his disguise is a black top hat.
Evil Tuxedo Mask
When Mamoru revived is under Galaxia's control, he retains his Tuxedo Mask attire but he wears Galactica Bracelets.
Main Page: Prince Endymion
Main Page: King Endymion
Mamoru was an only child and had lived with his parents until the day of his sixth birthday when all three of them had been involved in a car accident, killing the parents but leaving Mamoru as the sole survivor. However, the incident gave Mamoru retrograde amnesia, leaving him unable to remember anything about his life prior to the car accident.
He did, however, constantly have dreams about a mysterious girl begging him to find something called the "Silver Crystal". Believing this Silver Crystal would help him restore his memories, Mamoru would adopt the persona "Tuxedo Mask" and seek out the crystal for himself.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
Dark Kingdom arc
When Mamoru first appears, Usagi, depressed over her bad grade, crumples her test up into a ball and throws it over her shoulder, only for it to accidentally land in his face. He calls her "bump-head" and asks if she is trying to put bumps on his head. She angrily protests that they are dumpling buns, not bumps. He mocks her for only scoring 30 points on the test, and throws the paper back in her face, saying that she needs to study more. Usagi angrily says that he needs to mind his own business, and also notes that he rather strange for wearing a tuxedo in the middle of the days. She calls him a "snobby jerk" and walks away. The man exclaims that OSA-P is a rather large jewelry store, and that it might hold the "Silver Crystal".
Mamoru runs into Usagi again, when she hits him in the face again, this time with a crumbled up ad for the Crystal Seminar School. When he asks if he heard Luna speak, Usagi denies it and runs off. He later continues his research on the Silver Crystal.
Black Moon arc
Mamoru is a kind and gentle man, being helpful and friendly around others. He also cares a lot about his girlfriend, Usagi; He was always ready to fight by her side, and fought his best to ensure her safety.
As a planetary guardian, Mamoru possesses abilities similar to that of a Sailor Senshi. He is able to perform superhuman feats and fire blasts of energy at opponents.
- Golden Crystal - He carries the Golden Crystal, which is a powerful sailor crystal like that of Sailor Moon's.
- Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber - Mamoru pointed his palm at an enemy. Firing out a thin beam of concentrated energy at them.
- His name 'Mamoru Chiba' is similar to the name "Mamoru Chino," the prototypical name for Makoto Kino.
- Naoko Takeuchi based his character off of her own ideal of the perfect man.
- His birthday falls on August 3rd, making him a Leo. The zodiac sign of Leo is ruled by the Sun.
- The Japanese school year begins around April 1st. Because Mamoru's birthday is August 3rd, he ages to 17 rather early on, however, when he first meets Usagi, he is still 16, while Usagi is confirmed 14 at the start of the series. Usagi's age is confirmed by both Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 2 (Ami's age is displayed to be "14" as well, and she is in the same school year as Usagi) as well as the Sailor Moon Eternal Edition (2019) of the manga.
- Usagi in comparison ages to 15 by June 30, not long before Mamoru's birthday.
- Of all the characters, Mamoru gets brainwashed and captured the most throughout the series. Mamoru was kidnapped and brainwashed by the Dark Kingdom and Black Lady. Mamoru is killed then brought back (along with the Sailor Senshi) under the control of Sailor Galaxia.
- This is to keep the focus on the female protagonists and the importance of them. Showing that not only male characters can save the world and that they also need and can depend on women at some time. Also, probably because of his importance to Usagi.
- His psychometry was not fully developed until the second season, and was used occasionally throughout the series.
- Mamoru displays healing abilities without needing to transform into Tuxedo Mask.
- He is hinted to have a physical relationship with Usagi; he was seen sleeping with her in the last volume of the manga. He is seen sleeping with her once again on the cover of "Sailor Moon Short Stories Volume 2."
- Mamoru is the character who says the last words of the manga (see quote above).