| Makoto Kino |
|Aliases:||Sailor Jupiter, Super Sailor Jupiter, Eternal Sailor Jupiter, Princess Jupiter|
|Residency:||Azabu-Juuban, Minato-ku, Tokyo|
Moon Kingdom, Crystal Tokyo
|Birthdate:||December 5, 1977 (♐) |
|Age:|| 14-15 (arcs 1-2)|
16 (arcs 3-4)
17 (arc 5)
168cm or 5'6"
|Likes:||Baking (especially cherry pies), cooking, gardening, flower arrangement, romance novels, bargain hunting, martial arts, video games, shopping, the color pink, home economics|
|Dislikes:||Cheaters, airplanes, biology|
|Manga:||Act 5 - Makoto, Sailor Jupiter|
Makoto Kino is the civilian identity and present-day incarnation of Sailor Jupiter.
Nomenclature & Etymology
Makoto: Makoto's first name in Japanese is written in hiragana as "まこと", which can be read as "実", which can mean "trust" or "sincerity" in Japanese. Originally, it was "Mamoru," meaning "to guard/protect".
Kino: The kanji of "Kino" (木野) can translate to "wood field" or "tree field."
Her name completely in hiragana would be "きのまこと" (Kino Makoto).
Her DiC name, "Lita", could be a shortened version of "lightning". However, the Latin and American meanings of the name are both "joyful", which would accurately describe Lita’s cheerful nature when she’s not around airplanes, that is. Yet the name is Spanish, and in that language would translate to “sorrow.” Ironically, this would also fit Lita, based on the tragedy with her parents in "Mako’s Depression.”
Lita could be derived from 'Leda' one of the moons of Jupiter. The moon Leda was named after one of Zeus' mythological cohorts, who is the subject of the famous poem "Leda and the Swan." Both Lita and Leda have four letters and start with L, and end with A.
"Lita" is a pun on the word, lightning, one of the elements that Sailor Jupiter is known to fight with. However, it should be noted that it means "trust" or "to rely on" in Swedish when putting together with the word "på". This may or may not have been intended.
Like the other Senshi's earlier costumes, Sailor Jupiter's was fully unique. It featured buckles, long gloves, blue and yellow highlights, a bare lower torso, a profusion of thin, dark pink ribbons, a face-plate, and a communicator. In other artworks, the outfit looked the same as the final product outfit but with a couple of differences, such as the addition of a belt (which was later added in when the manga was re-released) and the fact that she only wore one glove. Naoko Takeuchi later told the animators to make Makoto appear muscular and "a little meatier than normal".
Makoto is a teenage girl who fair skin and a slim complexion, though she is slightly more muscular than her most of her fellow Senshi. She has big green eyes, long brown wavy hair that she usually keeps tied up with a ponytail holder with two green balls, and is almost always shown wearing her pink rose earrings. She is also the tallest out of the Inner Senshi, standing at 168cm or 5 feet 6 inches.
Sailor Jupiter wears a sailor suit with two colors: green (scarf, boots, skirt, choker, gem of tiara, button of front bow, end of sleeves on gloves) and pink (both bows, earrings). The rest of her outfit is white. Her tiara is the same base color as the rest of the Sailor Senshi's; gold. She is also seen wearing a light blue hair accessory as well as a pair of pink rose earrings.
As Super Sailor Jupiter, she wears an upgraded version of the Sailor Jupiter sailor uniform. The entire uniform is the same. The only things that have changed are the length of her back bow and the shape of the button on her front bow (circle to heart), along with a yellow star added to her choker. Her boots are also the same.
As Eternal Sailor Jupiter, she wears an upgraded version of the Super Sailor Jupiter uniform. The scarf is still dark green, along with the first layer of her skirt. The second layer of the skirt is transparent green. Her front bow remains pink, while the back bow changes from pink to light green and has ribbons of the same color flowing from it. Her puffy white sleeves are now replaced with transparent green big puffy sleeves with the remainder of the sleeve being two dark green puffs. Replacing the usual button on her front bow is a green star-shaped button, the oval-shaped gem on her tiara is now a green star-shaped green gem, and the plain collar now has a green star attached to it. Instead of the original dark green tie-up boots, Eternal Sailor Jupiter now has a pair of white boots with a strip of dark green at the top with a gold star in the middle. Jupiter is still wearing her hair accessory but her pink rose earrings have been replaced by green dangling 5-pointed star earrings.
Sailor Jupiter is also the princess of the planet Jupiter. She wears a green gown with two green roses, one on each side, that goes down to her toes and splits in two right above the knee and trails back. Her hair is tied up with a green ribbon with a pink rose in the middle. She has a green choker that is tied in a bow a the back, with the streams running down her back. Her symbol is always on her forehead. In addition to the choker, she also wears a necklace. She also has green heels with a strap across the ankle. She dwelt in Io Castle.
Makoto was an only child who lived with her parents until one fateful day when her parents died in a plane crash, leading her to develop a fear of airplanes. She would learn how to take care of herself and develop impressive cooking skills in the process.
Makoto would grow to be a very tall girl for her age with impressive strength for her gender, leading most to assume she was a delinquent and avoid her.
One day, Makoto tried to confess her feelings to a boy she liked, but he rejected her. She would later transfer schools, partly because of heartache, but also because she felt a greater purpose calling her elsewhere.
Dark Kingdom arc
Makoto's first appearance in the Sailor Moon series was at the end "Act 4 - Masquerade Dance Party". Here, she is seen walking outside at night in the rain. However, she makes her formal appearance in the following act, "Act 5 - Makoto, Sailor Jupiter". At the beginning of the act, she saves Usagi from getting hit by a car. After doing so, Makoto tells Usagi to be more careful in the future and walks away. At school, Makoto accidentally bumps into Usagi and gets yelled at by a teacher who tells her to wear a proper uniform. As Makoto was setting up for lunch, she protects Usagi from an oncoming baseball. as Usagi was spying on her. She throws the ball far and Usagi joins her for lunch.
Black Moon arc
- Jupiter Power, Make Up!
- Jupiter Star Power, Make Up
- Jupiter Planet Power, Make Up
- Jupiter Crystal Power, Make Up
- Flower Hurricane
- Jupiter Thunderbolt
- Supreme Thunder
- Sparkling Wide Pressure
- Jupiter Coconut Cyclone
- Jupiter Oak Evolution
- Sailor Planet Attack
- Sailor Planet Power
- Galactica Gale
- Galactica Planet Attack
Makoto was present in the original proposal for the Codename: Sailor V anime; however, she was called Mamoru Chino, a name similar to Mamoru Chiba. It was later confirmed this character was eventually turned into Makoto, her character was meant to be not only tough, but the leader of a female gang and a smoker. Also, her hair was straight instead of wavy.
- The Kanji 木 Is used to identify the day Thursday in japan. Thursday according to Nordic mythology, it is the thunder god Thor's Day.
- Although Makoto is not formally introduced in the Sailor V manga, at the end of Chapter 16, Makoto is seen right behind Minako on the train, remarking in her thoughts that she is weird for bringing a cat onto the train before getting off.
- Her school uniform was a further representation of her tough girl status, that being the style for those girls at the time.
- In the manga and in Crystal, it is shown that Makoto keeps many plants in her apartment.
- The source of Makoto's income has been a debate among the fans, seeing as she is only 14-15 years old at the very start of the series. An explanation behind how she supported herself was never given, but a popular theory is that she lives off an inheritance left behind by her parents.
- The Japanese school year begins around April 1st. The Sailor Moon Eternal Edition (2019) of the manga along with Sailor Moon Crystal confirms Usagi is 14 at the start of the series. Because of this, in the original series, Makoto also starts the second year of middle school at 14, and ages to 15 by her December birthday. The same pattern would follow for her later school years.
- In the original series, she is also in the same school year as Usagi, Minako, Ami, and Rei.
- Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 2 also confirms Ami starting the same school year at 14.
- Her very first appearance in the manga was at the end of Act 4, even though her identity wasn't revealed until Act 5.
- In the first "Chibiusa Picture Diary", Makoto is seen eating a chocolate cigarette. However, there are many fans who believe she was smoking an actual cigarette.
- ↑ Makoto kino at Sailor Moon Official Website (Japanese)
- ↑ Sailor Moon Eternal Edition (2019), Volume 1, Page 8 states Usagi is 14 at the very beginning of the series. She ages to 15 about two months later on her birthday in June. Because Makoto is in the same school year as Usagi, she also starts the series at 14, aging to 15 by her birthday.
- ↑ まこと - Wiktionary
- ↑ 実 - Wiktionary