Learn How to Be Skinny from Usagi
|Usagi ga Oshiemasu! SURIMU ni Naruhō|
Usagi Will Teach You! How to Lose Weight
1, Sailor Moon
March 28, 1992
|NORTH AMERICAN DUB|
“Slim City (DiC)
September 13, 1995
“Learn How to Be Skinny from Usagi” is the fourth episode of the first season of the Sailor Moon anime, and the fourth episode overall. The episode first aired in Japan on March 28, 1992. The DiC English dub title for this episode is "Slim City", and the episode first aired in North America on September 13, 1995.
Usagi is shocked to find out that she's gained weight from too much eating. Determined to get back into shape and fast, she and her friends join a gym that advertises instant results for its members.
Jadeite finds out about the energy people use on fitness, and plans to use this to drain energy.
Umino tells Usagi, Naru, and two other girls that Ms. Haruna is working out at a fitness program, and so they decide to go there. Unknown to them, this fitness program has been taken over by Jadeite, disguised as a man named Jed, whom the girls fawn over. Usagi leaves the gym early, while Naru and the other two girls finish and are taken to a room with relaxation pods, which, once the girls are inside it, drain their energy.
Usagi faints in Motoki's arms because she hasn't been eating, leading to a fantasy sequence where she dances with him and he tells her not to stop eating. After she wakes up, Motoki says he wants to be a doctor, and takes Usagi to a restaurant for dinner. When Usagi is walking and eating donuts, she runs into Mamoru.
Usagi returns to the fitness program after Luna tells her she is being irresponsible. Luna witnesses Jadeite putting Ms. Haruna in a "relaxation pod", and tells Usagi that the Dark Kingdom is behind this. Usagi transforms into Sailor Moon to stop Jadeite, but he sends three bodybuilders (that he brainwashed with gold rings on their heads) after her. Sailor Moon destroys the rings on their heads with Moon Tiara Action, releasing them from Jadeite's control.
Later, Usagi weighs herself, only to find out that she has still gained weight.
Changes From the Manga
- This episode was a filler. No scenes were adapted from the Manga into this episode.
- Many changes were made in the English DiC dub.
- The cold opening segment was cut (30 seconds cut)
- A scene where Usagi eyes Naru's lunch, then Umino offers Usagi what's left of his lunch, leaving Usagi speechless, was cut out (20 seconds cut).
- Shots of the fitness club from afar were cut for time (9 seconds cut)
- Shots of Jadeite gathering energy were cut out (6 seconds cut).
- Several other small cuts were made. In all, 1 minute and 33 seconds were cut out.
- A scene was added of Naru pedalling the exercise bike was added, used from one of the older scenes sped up.
- A scene was added where we see Queen Beryl looking into her crystal ball, watching Naru and Usagi's two friends get energy drained.
- The scene with Usagi and Motoki in the nurse room was extended, Usagi jumps up and down more and Motoki laughs at the end.
- The scene where we see Haruna in a pod was slowed down.
- A part where we see the Sailor V poster was edited so the bottom of the poster is not shown, possibly due to the bad guys with guns.
- Motoki is renamed Andrew in this and future appearances.
- Juyban Junior High is renamed Crossroads Junior High in this and future appearances.
- Mamoru is renamed Darien in this and future appearances.
- In the English dub, Sammy makes his first appearance in this episode. His first appearance would have been in episode 1 if the scene where Usagi mimicking Sailor V Kick to harm Shingo wasn't cut.
- In the Japanese version, even after all the exercising, Usagi weighed herself and was shocked to see that she had still gained weight. The North American dub changed it to Sammy having tampered with the scale as a prank.
- In the Japanese version, Queen Beryl praises Jadeite for all the energy he had collected for her. In the English version, Queen Beryl yells at him for doing a bad job.
- In the Japanese version, Usagi was eating a bag of dumplings. The bag of dumplings was changed to doughnuts in the English dub. The German dub changed it to a bag of hamburgers.
- In the English dub, during the scene where Serena was taking a bath, the water was darkened to make her chest area less visible to the viewer.
- The DiC dub had to insert a lesson about other ways to lose weight, due to differing opinions on the subject between Canada and Japan
- In the Japanese version, Usagi was eating a bag of dumplings. The German dub changed it to a bag of hamburgers.
- The English title of this episode is a parody of Las Vegas, Nevada's popular nickname "Sin City".
- This episode did not feature a Youma. Instead, Jadeite was running the gym with the help of three fitness instructors he was controlling with rings on their heads.
- While this episode was dubbed and aired in Sweden, parental complaints led to the episode being pulled from reruns.
- Devices similar to the Shape Ray in this episode also appeared in chapter 9 of Codename: Sailor V, "Sailor V vs deVleene!."
- Sailor Moon's odango covers were not present during the scene where she was fighting the men.
- This was one of the few episodes where Jadeite's plan was accomplished without using a Youma.
- Jadeite and Queen Beryl's conversation in the penultimate scene of the episode marked one of the few times an evil minion satisfied their superior by the end of an episode.