Kunzite is the 4th and most powerful general of the Shitennou.
Nomenclature and Etymology
Kunzite's name is likely derived from a variety of spodumene known as Kunzite.
Kunzite has long white hair and light tanned skin. Like the other generals, he wears a gray uniform with blue trimming, with white gloves, but he wears a white cape and his epaulets have a blue gem on top.
In the anime, Kunzite's first appearance was during Nephrite's turn to gather energy for Queen Beryl.
After Nephrite's death, he appeared from time to time during Zoisite’s saga where he was attempting to obtain the Rainbow Crystals. When he challenged Tuxedo Mask for the crystals, Kunzite appeared and took them. When Zoisite was defeated by Sailor Moon and killed by Queen Beryl for disobeying her, Kunzite fought against the Sailor Guardians but Sailor Moon defeated him with Cosmic Moon Power.
After Zoisite's death, Kunzite attempted to find Sailor Moon, often turning people into monsters to do so, fighting alongside the brainwashed Tuxedo Mask, albeit begrudgingly. Like Zoisite, Kunzite did not bother creating civilian identities, instead of operating in the background of Youma plots. While he and Tuxedo Mask still sought out the Silver Crystal, he came to despise Tuxedo Mask's methods of holding back when fighting Sailor Moon.
In the penultimate episode of the first season, he attacks the Guardians in a cave, where they are transported to the past. Kunzite attacks Luna and Artemis, but when the Guardians return, all are defeated by Kunzite, who gets stronger every time they see him. Sailor Moon uses Cosmic Moon Power and reflects one of Kunzite's energy blades at him. This finally kills Kunzite, and as he dissolves into nothingness, he states that he would be joining Zoisite in the afterlife very soon.
Kunzite was the most powerful of the four Shitennou. He has power over dark energy, through which he can use as energy blasts, energy blades, or an energy dome, which he used to trap the Sailor Senshi in.
- Kunzite is derived from a variety of spodumene of the same name.
- In the DiC English dub, Kunzite's name is changed to Malachite.
- Interestingly, he was the only member of the Shitennou to be renamed after a completely different type of mineral, as opposed to just an alternate spelling of his original name.
- Kunzite was unique in the anime, in that he was the only Shitennou who did not find out Sailor Moon's civilian identity, the only one who created all of his youma from humans, the only one who did not wear any disguises, and the only one who died in combat with Sailor Moon. His costume was also the only one that included a cape.
- Kunzite was the first and only Shitennou whose death was directly at the hands of Sailor Moon. All other Shitennou's deaths were at the hands of the Dark Kingdom: Jadeite and Zoisite were killed by Beryl and Nephrite was killed by Zoisite.
- He and Zoisite were the first same-sex couple, followed by Sailors' Neptune and Uranus in Sailor Moon S. This was averted in the original DiC dub, making them a straight couple.