|Death of the Sailor Guardians: The Tragic Final Battle|
| セーラー戦士死す! 悲壮なる最終戦|
Seeraa Senshi Shisu! Hisounaru Saishuu-sen
|Episode:||EP 45, Season 1|
|Air Date (JP):||February 20, 1993|
|Written by:||Shigeru Yanagawa|
|Directed by:||Kounosuke Uda|
|Featured Monster:||DD Girls|
|North American Dub|
|Air Date (US):||November 3, 1995|
|DiC Title:||Day of Destiny|
Usagi's Awakening: A Message from the Distant Past
Usagi's Eternal Wish: A Brand New Life
"Death of the Sailor Guardians: The Tragic Final Battle" is the 45th episode of the 1st season of the Sailor Moon anime and the 45th episode overall. It aired in Japan on February 20, 1993. In the DiC English dub, this episode, as well as the next, were heavily edited and combined into one episode title "Day of Destiny" and it aired in North America on November 3, 1995.
There are many TV reports on natural disasters. Artemis comments that they're running out of time.
Usagi is cooking dinner for her family, making her Usagi-special! Dubiously, the family watches as she tastes her handiwork and starts crying. Concerned, her mother asks what's wrong. Usagi explodes and says it's too spicy.
That night, the five girls gather at Rei’s temple. They tease each other to help relieve tension. Makoto reminisces about her boyfriend and Ami says "Me, too". This gets everyone’s attention and Usagi ribs her friend about it. Artemis breaks it up and tells them that it's time to transform.
The full moon comes out. The Sailor Guardians hold hands in a ring and concentrate and an energy field forms around them. Artemis calls out "Sailor...Teleport!" and the girls are gone. Artemis wishes them good luck. Luna hopes that the girls are going to be okay. The cats can only wait now.
The entrance to the Dark Kingdom is at the North Pole. Sailor Moon complains that she's cold. Sailor Mars snaps a reply, and the Sailor Senshi move toward the entrance.
The storm has stopped and the weather has cleared. Sailor Moon sees an image of Tuxedo Mask calling for help and she rushes forward. The other Sailor Guardians pile on top of her to stop her. Sailor Mercury tells Sailor Moon that this is really a Youma, but this doesn't stop Sailor Moon from going to him again.
Sailor Jupiter was going to destroy it when the image changed to Motoki. Jupiter hesitates and four tentacles grab her and suspend her 100 feet in the air. The Youma attack with electricity and Jupiter cries out. The youma made a mistake, though. Jupiter invokes her "Supreme Thunder" and attacked electricity with electricity. Two of the Youma are destroyed by the backlash.
Jupiter is left lying on an ice mound. The guilt-ridden Sailor Moon tries to get to her, but Jupiter simply whispers some words of encouragement and dies. Sailor Moon screams and begs Makoto not to die.
Sailor Jupiter has been defeated, and Sailor Moon's resolve has been crushed with the former's death. She moves off and yells to the Dark Kingdom that the Silver Crystal is theirs. Mars and Venus grab Sailor Moon, but she doesn't stop struggling. The gentle Mercury slaps the hysterical Sailor Moon (and is as shocked by her action as Sailor Moon is). She apologizes but reminds Sailor Moon that Makoto died for this job that they all are committed to.
Mercury's computer tells her that the other three Youma have regrouped and are heading their way. She has a plan to lead the youma off by using herself as a decoy. Sailor Moon protests, but Mercury says that it's better this way since she is the least powerful of all of them and maybe she can buy enough time for the others to get in. Firmly gripping her arms, Mars and Venus lead Sailor Moon away. Sailor Moon keeps looking back at Mercury until she can no longer see her.
Beeps announce the arrival of the Youma and Mercury looks up to see an image of Ryo Urawa. She smiles at the gall of the Youma, and at her memories of Urawa and scanned the image. The ground erupted in a lava flow in front of her, and Mercury used her "Shabon Spray" to stop it.
The Youma form a huge energy boulder and proceed to run Mercury over. Using her computer, Mercury finds the source of the illusion power. She uses her Shabon Spray to protect herself and finds herself inside of the boulder. Two of the Youma grab her immediately and fry her with energy, Mercury collapses still suspended in midair. The illusion-Youma floats in front of Mercury to gloat, but Mercury uses her computer to break the illusion-youma's power. The boulder disappears, and the only thing left on the ice mound is the body of Sailor Mercury.
Sailor Moon senses Mercury's death and rails at her 'unfeeling' friends. She collapses and hits the ice in frustration. Venus notices that the ice below is glowing, and pushes Sailor Moon off only to be caught in the trap. The youma take Sailor Venus underground where she is tortured. Sailor Moon screams for them to stop...she'll give them the Silver Crystal, but her cries go unheeded.
Underground, Venus struggles and opens her eyes to see a youma in front of her. With her last strength, she forms her "Crescent Beam" and fires at point-blank range. The blast kills both of them and above, the ground explodes into an ice mound and Sailor Venus' body rests on top of it.
Sailor Moon calls out Minako's name as Sailor Mars drags her away. The two remaining Youma appear before them. Sailor Moon begs Mars not to fight them, but Mars cheerfully says that she's not going to die because she's the most powerful of them all. Mars moves ahead, then the Youma dive underground before Mars can attack. The Youma attack and encase Mars in an ice mountain.
One of the youma bursts free and dives to attack Sailor Moon. The shell-shocked Sailor Moon only stares blankly at the approaching Youma. A fireball bursts out of the side of the ice mountain and destroys the attacking youma, the last youma then attacks Mars.
Finally, the ice mountain explodes and the youma is holding Mars' body. Putting Mars down, the youma prepares to finish Sailor Moon, but Sailor Mars grabs one of the youma's tentacles and uses her Fire Soul attack, killing both of them.
All of her friends are gone. Sailor Moon, all alone, sits on a snow bluff in shock, and wonders about the price that's been paid. The spirits of the Sailor Guardians come to comfort her and remind her that it's not yet over. Sailor Moon gets new determination from this and takes off running to meet the Dark Kingdom, Endymion, and Queen Beryl.
International Dub Titles
- Brazilian Portuguese: As Guerreiras Morrem: O Trágico Combate Final ("The Warriors Die: The Tragic Final Battle")
- European Portuguese: As Navegantes Morrem na Batalha ("The Navigators Die in Battle")
- TV: La dernière Bataille des guerrières ("The Last Warriors' Battle")
- DVD: La mort des Guerrières ! Un Ultime combat héroïque ("The Death of the Warriors! A Final Heroic Battle")
- German: Der Letzte Kampf ("The Last Fight")
- Sweden: Sailor Moon och Döden (Sailor Moon and Death)
Changes from the Manga
- The Sailor Guardians died when they decided to sacrifice their transformations pens (equivalent to sacrificing their own lives) to execute a powerful attack that awoken Sailor Moon within Metalia.
- Queen Beryl died before the Sailor Guardians.
- Endymion kidnapped Sailor Venus and took her to the D-Point and Sailor Moon followed him there.
- Only Sailor Mars, Mercury, and Jupiter used the Sailor Teleport to reach D-Point.
- In the DiC dub, this episode was combined with the succeeding episode
- The episode was edited with dialogue used to make it appear that the Sailor Guardians were only captured rather than killed and editing out shots of the Senshi dead.
- In the DiC dub, they removed Sailor Mercury creating a water shield around herself and entering the inferno.
- The scene was cut short, where Sailor Mercury used her computer to smash one of the DD Girls' gem, thus preventing them from using their illusions. Instead, it was replaced with appearing that the DD Girls are taking the computer to locate the other Sailor Guardians
- The deaths of the remaining two DD Girls' deaths were cut. Instead of Sailor Mars blasting one DD Girl from the ice prison and emulating herself with the final DD Girl, Sailor Mars gets trapped in the ice prison, and it explodes.
- The scene where Usagi made dinner for her family (but the dinner came out with terrible results) was cut out of the DiC dub.
- The scene where the spirits of the Sailor Guardians spoke to Sailor Moon was removed from the DiC dub. However, it reappeared in the "Sailor Says" segment.
- This is the last episode of the 1st season to feature a monster of the day.