In the game two Sailor Senshi fought each other using both basic physical and special magical attacks. Each Senshi had their own set of attacks, some of which were invented exclusively for the game. All of the Solar System Senshi, with the exception of Sailor Saturn, were playable characters.
There were four modes: practice, tournament, versus and story mode. In each mode, the basic gameplay was the same. In versus and story mode, the player could customize the abilities of the chosen Senshi by distributing points among six ability scores.
- Practice Mode - In Practice mode the players could practice their attack and no damage was counted.
- Tournament Mode - Eight players fought in a knock-out tournament, with 1-8 players being human and the being controlled by the game.
- Versus Mode - The player could fight one duel against another person or the computer. The player chose which Senshi should fight each other. It was possible to match a Senshi against herself; in this case, one of their sailor fuku would be altered.
- Story Mode - In Story Mode the plot was that the Sailor Senshi were fighting to choose a new leader. In this mode, only the Inner Senshi and Sailor Chibi Moon were playable characters. The player had to defeat the other eight normally playable Senshi to win in this mode. If the player succeded, the title screen would change to display the silhouette and the name of the victorious Senshi. Tuxedo Mask appeared in the "Continue" screen if the player lost a duel.
There were ten different stages in this game, including one hidden stage. They each had a different background, but the backgrounds did not affect the gameplay and each had an inhabitant.
- Moon Castle - Sailor Moon
- Water Fountain at the Park ~ Day - Sailor Mercury
- Water Fountain at the Park ~ Night - Sailor Uranus
- Seaside Port - Sailor Neptune
- Crystal Tokyo ~ Day - Sailor Chibi Moon
- Crystal Tokyo ~ Night - Sailor Venus
- Hidden Stage - The hidden stage took place inside an office building with various workers cheering on the fight.