A Goodbye and an Encounter! The Destiny of Flowing Stars
|Wakare to deai! Unmei no hoshi-boshi no ryūten|
May 11, 1996
|NORTH AMERICAN DUB|
June 18, 2019
"A Goodbye and an Encounter! The Destiny of the Flowing Stars" is the seventh episode of the fifth season of the Sailor Moon anime, the first one of the season's main arc and the 173rd overall. It first aired in Japan on May 11, 1996.
Usagi feels that it's going to be a long, lonely year: Chibiusa has returned to the 30th century and Mamoru is going to study abroad for more than a year. Her friends try to cheer her up, but four new sailor senshi appears, with unknown duties.
Three guys are shown talking about giving their best to find "her". Then they go through a door that leads to a concert stage and the show begins.
At the Fruits Parlor Crown, the 5 girls talk about a new musical band, Three Lights and each one's favorite group member, Ami included, but she blushes when the her friends realize she has a crush on Taiki and is also a Three Lights' fan. Then, they ask Usagi who she thinks is the most handsome, but she answers "Mamoru". She has a sad look on her face and reveals that her boyfriend is leaving to study abroad; and, added to Chibiusa's departure, has made her feel upset and lonely. She says she'll be okay, but none of the girls are sure about it.
At the airport, Mamoru hears the last call for his flight and Usagi still hasn't shown up. At last minute, she gets there and promises him that she'll wait for him. He says he loves her and hands her a little box: It has a ring in it. He places it on her finger and then both kiss. The moment is interrupted by Three Lights arrival at the airport and the crowd's excitement about it. It really bothers Seiya and the others, but when he passes by Usagi and Mamoru, he feels something about her that calls his attention, like a bright shine.
In outer space, a woman with a golden senshi outfit, discovers a carrier of a true Star Seed and shoots five yellow projectiles. Those were aimed at Mamoru's plane and impact it, causing a big explosion of light. In land, Yaten says that a star has just lost its bright.
Usagi has met with Rei, Makoto, Ami and Luna again at the cafe, but this time they argues about Usagi: It seems that she doesn't understand the meaning of her new ring. Minako joins them with big news: A television show is being filmed at the park and the Three Lights are there too.
Unfortunately, the park is so crowded the girls can barely see the actors, so they decide to sneak through people anyways. Usagi in the other hand, can't pull that off and is left behind. Alone, she tries taking another way after she sees a "employees only" section, but she's busted by Seiya. He recognizes her as the girl at the airport, but she doesn't recognize him, which astonishes the young man. Usagi thinks that he's hitting on her, which makes Seiya laugh. He calls her "Odango" and leaves.
One of the actresses of the show, Alice Itsuki, is on a break to check her make-up. After she finishes, a mysterious short woman shows up telling her that she is Chuuko Nezu, a producer of Ginga TV. The actress says that it's not the right time for interviews, if she wants one she'll have to wait. However, Nezu is not willing to waste time and takes off her clothes, revealing an entire new outfit.
Usagi hears a scream and quickly figures out where it comes from. She witnesses how Chuuko Nezu removes Alice's Star Seed: It has a double-pyramidal shape and shines intensely, however it soon loses its bright, much to Nezu's disappointment, who says that it can't be the True Star Seed. Usagi transforms into Eternal Sailor Moon and faces the little woman. Nezu is surprised by Sailor Moon's interruption and tells her that she is also a sailor senshi: Sailor Iron Mouse. A telephone box materializes from nowhere and Iron Mouse leaves in it, but first she tells Sailor Moon that because the Star Seed has lost its bright, its carrier will turn into Phage. She doesn't know what she was talking about, but then vines appear around Alice and transform her in a monster that calls itself Sailor Buri.
The phage attacks Sailor Moon, but she doesn't want to fight her, as the monster is still Alice Itsuki. Suddenly three woman in black clothing introduces themselves as the Sailor Starlights: Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Star Maker and Sailor Star Healer. Sailor Moon is even more confused now with these new senshi, as she hasn't been told about any other senshi outside of the Solar System, but the new characters react quickly: Sailor Star Fighter uses Star Serious Laser on the phage, effectively knocking it out. She is about to deliver the final blow on the monster, when Sailor Moon shielded it saying that it's still a human. They argue about it, and finally Sailor Moon's will makes the Eternal Tiare to appear. She then performs Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss, and with it, she recovers the Star Seed's bright and turns the phage back to human. The Starlights soon leave the scene, before Usagi could talk to them, jumping through the trees.
At the end of the day, Usagi meets again with her friends but she is not convinced about telling them about those mysterious new soldiers that have recently appeared. Rei asks her if there is something wrong, but Usagi's responses are vague, so Rei gets mad and they start to argue like always.
Changes From the Manga
This episode is partially based on Act 50:
- Mamoru's Golden Crystal was taken by Sailor Galaxia right in front of Usagi's eyes. As she saw this, she fainted but Seiya managed to catch her. Usagi is so traumatized by it that she forgets seeing him die.
- Sailor Iron Mouse made her first appearance in a Three Lights concert and was instructed to search for the Sailor Crystals. She is killed in her first appearance.
- Phages do not appear at all. All the targets of the Shadow Galactica are Sailor Senshi and their allies.
- In the Korean dub, the Sailor Starlights' outfits were edited in order to cover their abdomens.
- This is the first time since episode 43 series that a civilian was turned into a Monster of the Week.
- Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss is named for the first time in the anime.
- Its second animation sequence was also shown for the first time.
- Moon Eternal, Make Up also received a new animated sequence.
- The opening sequence was changed for this episode. The changes made were the inclusion of Sailor Galaxia and the Sailor Starlights' full bodies. This opening was used for the rest of the season.
- The ending theme was changed to the second version of The Wind, the Sky, Surely.... Up to the previous episode, the ending theme had been that song' first version.
- This is the first time the Sailor Starlights and their male civilian identities as the Japanese idol The Three Lights are been voiced by their respective voice actresses in the Viz English Dub as Seiya's current voice actress Melissa Hutchison imitates the late Shiho Niiyama's performance when she plays as him with the exception of their Starlight Senshi forms where they spoke in their normal voice.
- In the Viz English Dub, Eternal Sailor Moon finally say the phrase during execution of her Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss when she heals the Phage to their normal state.
- Unlike in the DiC and CWi English Dub where Mamoru calls Usagi as a "Meatball head" due to her odango hairstyle, in the Viz English Dub, Seiya calls her a "Bun head" instead of "Meatball head" much to Usagi's annoyance. This also happens in later episodes onward and as in the next episode shows Seiya calling her as a "Moon bun" when he and Taiki became a part of Usagi's class.